Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Contact Hours: A True Story by Dr. Dharma Wren


I'm going to have to file for unemployment for July-August, so I called my CC to ask how many hours I "officially" work per class and met with the HR manager. I explained that I needed this number to apply for service work loan forgiveness (true, but not the immediate reason, which I didn't want to admit, unemployment). 


She had no clue what to tell me. 

She asked me how many contact hours, and I told her 3, to which she responded,

"Well, that's how many hours you work." 
"So I'm not supposed to work outside of classroom hours?"
"That's up to the department and the Dean of your school," she said.
"Then why can't I teach 8 classes here? And how many classes till I get health insurance?" 

"For admin purposes, double contact hours. So three 3-hour classes would equal 18 hours a week," she clarified. 

"Okay, so I'm only supposed to work 3 hours outside of class time?" 
"You are supposed to work as much as you need to in order to teach the class," she said. 
"Right," I said, "but anything over 3 hours a week is unpaid and uninsured?"
"You're paid to do what's required to teach the class."

"I'm not insured to put in more than 3 hours?" 

She then informed me that there was a board meeting I could attend on Monday where they'll be making decisions about how many hours we work and when we can/should receive health care. 

I'll be there
I'm sure she will, too.

1 comment:

  1. //She then informed me that there was a board meeting I could attend on Monday where they'll be making decisions about how many hours we work and when we can/should receive health care. //

    This is the heart of the problem. "They" are the ones who determine "how many hours we work" when no other contractor accepts this arrangement.

    2003-2011:

    Composition 3 credit course = 11 hours of work
    Philosophy 3 credit course = 9-10 hours of work
    General Humanities 3 credit course = 9-11 hours of work
    Sociology or any social science 3 credit course = 9-12 hours of work.

    I got paid for 3 so in most cases I was not compensated for 60-70% of my labor, for short-hand purposes let's just say I was ripped off 75% of the time and now part time instructors stand as part of the Adjunct 75

    ReplyDelete